Sunday, November 20, 2016

IRB Intro Post #2 - Blink By Malcolm Gladwell

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

     For my second IRB, I chose Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. He is a critically acclaimed author and psychologist who had his book The Tipping Point become a bestseller. This fascinating book revolves around the concept of thinking without actually thinking; the decision people people make or actions done without much thought. It goes in depth behind the reasons why some people become brilliant decision-makers, while others struggle to make even the simplest choice. He discusses about how our brains work and how that ties into the decision-making skills of people. A very interesting theory he proposes is the art of "thin-slicing - filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables." A couple years ago I came across Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I remembered seeing Blink  in my father's bookshelf, and seeing that I enjoy his books I thought I would give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment