Sunday, February 26, 2017

TOW #20 - IRB "Tuesdays With Morrie"

Tuesdays With Morrie

      For my IRB this marking period, I chose to read "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom. As mentioned in my earlier IRB post, this book is about a student, Mitch Albom, and his dying college professor. These two had a very close bond since Albom's college days, and in Morrie's final days they spend a lot of time together discussing about the meaning of life and its lessons. The first chapter of the book is the Curriculum-the Syllabus. In it, Albom introduces the audience to the weekly meetings he has with Morrie. Rather than describing it as a out-of-place meeting, he depicts their meetings as a continuation of his studies. The classes are held in Morrie's house. This is where we are introduced to the pink hibiscus plant, a symbol that would later come to represent life and death.  
     As Morrie's sickness worsens and his body deteriorates, the petals of the hibiscus plant begin to fall losing life. They wither and fall, one buy one as Morrie's dependence on his oxygen aid grows. The hibiscus plant is continuously used as a symbol for life, specifically Morrie's. It is understood that the closer Morrie approaches death, the death of the plant grows closer as well

     A particularly upsetting moment so far in this book was when Albom, during one of his meetings with Morrie, recalls the summer of 1979 when he graduated. After receiving his diploma, Morrie approached him to greet his parents, describing Albom as a "very special boy." In turn, Albom presents Morrie with a tan briefcase engraved with Morrie's initials. Both men's eyes well up with tears and they promise each other to keep in touch. 

     Although I have just recently begun this book, I already fill greatly enraptured by it. I too have an extremely special teacher who greatly impacted my life. I feel I can relate to Albom in the ever great thanks I feel towards my teacher. This book is also extremely meaningful with beautifully sad moments. I feel very enlightened every time I open this book and am excited to continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment